Skip to main content

Castle Clinton, Manhattan



Castle Clinton

A view from Broadway to the Battery
Museum of the City of New York
Castle Clinton, today Castle Clinton National Monument, stands two blocks west of where Fort Amsterdam once stood. The sandstone fort was built in anticipation of the War of the 1812. It was built on a small artificial island off shore. Originally called West Battery or Southwest Battery, it was renamed Castle Clinton in 1817 for Dewitt Clinton - New York City's Mayor and later New York Governor.

In 1823, Castle Clinton was deeded to the City. It was used as a restaurant and entertainment center and renamed Castle Garden.

The roof was added in 1840 and Castle Garden served as an opera house and theater. Jenny Lind, often referred to as the "Swedish Nightingale", debuted her American tour at Castle Garden on September 11 and 13 in 1850. She returned again to bring her tour to a close in May of 1852. It served in this respect until 1854.



By 1855, landfills had enlarged the Park to encompass Castle Garden.


New York City Aquarium 1895
Museum of the City of New York
On August 3, 1855 the Castle became the Castle Garden Immigration Station, the first official immigrant processing station in the nation. During the next 34 years, eight million entered through the Castle Garden Immigration Station. Castle Garden was operated by New York State until April 18, 1890 when the Federal Government took control of the processing and opened the larger and more isolated Ellis Island facility on January 2, 1892.

After remodeling, Castle Garden reopened on December 10, 1896 as the New York City Aquarium. The New York City Aquarium was one of the nation's first public aquariums. The aquarium was relocated to Coney Island in 1941.


New York City Aquarium in 1904
Museum of the City of New York

The structure was nearly demolished to build a crossing from the Battery to Brooklyn but was ultimately saved by public outcry. The original fort walls were declared a National Monument by Act of Congress in 1946 and operated by the National Park Service. After restoration by the National Park Service, the site was reopened in 1975.
New York City Aquarium in 1910
Museum of the City of New York
New York City Aquarium in 1939
Museum of the City of New York
Castle Clinton
Library of Congress

Castle Clinton's Exterior (pre-restoration)
Library of Congress
Interior of Castle Clinton (pre-restoration)
Library of Congress
Castle Clinton's North Gate from the exterior prior to the National Park Service restoration.
Library of Congress

Castle Clinton Forth Gate from the interior prior to the National Park Service restoration.
Library of Congress

Popular posts from this blog

Holland Tunnel, Manhattan

 
The first automobile tunnel built under the Hudson River was the Holland Tunnel, opened to vehicular traffic on November 13, 1927.  The Holland Tunnel was formerly named the Hudson River Vehicular Tunnel or the Canal Street Tunnel.  Today it is named for it's chief engineer Clifford Milburn Holland (1883-1924).

Beginning in 1906, a joint commission of New York and New Jersey explored the possibility of construction of a roadway crossing to connect the states.  After design proposals from various engineers including George Goethals, and the firm of Jacobs and Davies, the design of two separate tubes by Clifford Holland was chosen.  In 1919, Holland was named Chief Engineer of the project.

On February 1, 1920 funds were appropriated for construction by the New Jersey Interstate Bridge and Tunnel Commission and the New York State Bridge and Tunnel Commission.  Construction of the Hudson River Vehicular Tunnel Project began on March 31, 1922 at the corner of Canal Street and West S…

Fort Totten, Queens

Fort Totten Park is a former United States Army installation in Bayside, Queens on the north shore of Long Island. Decommissioned as a military base in the 1970s, Fort Totten is located at the head of Little Neck Bay where the East River widens to become the Long Island Sound. Although the United States Army Reserve maintains a presence since 1974, the property is currently owned by the City of New York.
Construction began in 1862 after the United States government purchased the land from the Willet family.  The former federal military base was composed of 93 acres.  Plans for the Civil War-era project were initially prepared by Captain Robert E. Lee in 1857.  Construction was undertaken five years later to protect the eastern approach of New York Harbor from the Confederate States, along with Fort Schuyler across the East River in the Bronx.
The fort was named for General Joseph Gilbert Totten (1788-1864), Chief Engineer of the United States Army, regent of the Smithsonian Institution,…