Skip to main content

Franklin D. Roosevelt Drive, Manhattan



East River Drive at 81st Street June 8, 1942
Museum City of New York
Franklin D. Roosevelt Drive, formerly the East River Drive, is 9.5 miles long. The FDR Drive extends from the Battery to the Triborough Bridge. The Drive is not designed to current interstate standards, therefore the FDR is closed to commercial traffic. However buses can use the highways in certain locations. Due to its antiquated design, the speed limit maximum is 40 miles per hour.

In the 1920s, calls first began for a waterfront highway began - initially being called the "Chyrstie-Forsyth Parkway."

The FDR Drive is an amalgamation of sections that were constructed in different styles.

Construction of the East River Drive began in 1934. The parkway section from East 92nd street to East 125th required ingenious methods of construction in a narrow right-of-way. A six-lane parkway was conceived by Robert Moses in the 100 foot right-of-way. This section was completed and opened in 1936.


East River Drive December 5, 1949
Library of Congress


The East River Drive was constructed as an arterial boulevard from Battery Park to East 42nd street and from East 49th to East 92nd street. The construction occurred under the direction of Manhattan Borough President Stanley Issacs. These portions opened to traffic by 1942.

The portion between East 23rd street and East 30th was land-filled with rubble of World War II bombed British cities - carried back to the United States as ballast in wartime ships. This portion was dubbed Bristol Basin at the time. Much of the Drive was constructed upon pile-supported relieving platforms.


East River Drive December 5, 1949
Library of Congress
In the 1940s calls were made for the completion of the Drive. In 1948 the portion from East 49th Street to East 92nd was converted to a controlled access parkway from a boulevard. Also in 1948, the area between East 80th street and East 90th street had a cantilevered park built above the parkway - today named Carl Schurz park.

In 1950 the Battery Park Underpass connecting the FDR with the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and West Side Highway was completed.


East River Drive December 5, 1949
Library of Congress
In 1952, the FDR drive from East 42nd street to East 49th was converted to controlled access parkway. In this portion a two level cantilever was constructed. The first level constructed, supports the FDR Drive over the East River. The second level supports the United Nations complex over the FDR Drive.

In 1954, the South Street Viaduct was completed over the existing boulevard stretching from the Battery Park Underpass to the Jackson Street in the Lower East Side.

 In 1960, the FDR Drive from East 14th Street to Jackson Street was converted from a boulevard to a controlled-access parkway.

In 1966, the FDR Drive between East 14th Street and 42nd Street was converted from boulevard to controlled-access parkway.

New Viaducts were constructed in the areas of East 23rd street, East 34th street, and East 42nd street.


East River Drive December 5, 1949
Library of Congress
From East 54th street to East 63rd street, the FDR continues covered by cantilever. The cantilevers from East 54th to East 63rd contain parks and private gardens.

New York State Department of Transportation plans to rebuild much of the FDR Drive area from East 25th street to East 42nd street to include bike lanes, and pedestrian access to the waterfront.

Tiny marine borers or "sea termites" have been feeding on the wooden pilings that support the FDR Drive. The installation of plastic shrink wrap around the wood pilings were unsuccessful in suffocating the pests. The City has recently attempted to encase pilings in concrete underwater.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuyvesant Square Park, Manhattan

Stuyvesant Square (1930) New York Public Library Stuyvesant Square Park is a park spanning from East 15th Street north to East 17th Street and from Rutherford Place east to Nathan D. Perlman Place. The square is commonly thought to be named for  Peter Stuyvesant, the last of the Dutch Director-General of the colony of New Netherlands until it was ceded to English  control in 1664. It is actually named for Peter Gerard Stuyvesant. Stuyvesant Square (1905) Museum of the City of New York The park lies within what was the Stuyvesant family farm. The farm once stretched from the Bowery to the East River and from 3rd Street to 14th Street. The park itself is in the approximate location of the original Stuyvesant family mansion. Randel Farm Map 1818-1820 In 1836, Peter Gerard Stuyvesant and his wife Hellen Rutherford reserved four acres of the family farm and sold it to the City of New York for $5 as a public park, with the proviso that the City of New York build a fen

Holland Tunnel, Manhattan

 South Tunnel of the Holland Tunnel December 6, 1923 New York Public Library  The first automobile tunnel built under the Hudson River was the Holland Tunnel, opened to vehicular traffic on November 13, 1927.  The Holland Tunnel was formerly named the Hudson River Vehicular Tunnel or the Canal Street Tunnel.  Today it is named for it's chief engineer Clifford Milburn Holland (1883-1924). Beginning in 1906, a joint commission of New York and New Jersey explored the possibility of construction of a roadway crossing to connect the states.  After design proposals from various engineers including George Goethals, and the firm of Jacobs and Davies, the design of two separate tubes by Clifford Holland was chosen.  In 1919, Holland was named Chief Engineer of the project. North Tunnel of the Holland Tunnel July 20, 1925 New York Public Library On February 1, 1920 funds were appropriated for construction by the New Jersey Interstate Bridge and Tunnel Commission a

Fort Totten, Queens

Fort Totten Park is a former United States Army installation in Bayside, Queens on the north shore of Long Island. Decommissioned as a military base in the 1970s, Fort Totten is located at the head of Little Neck Bay where the East River widens to become the Long Island Sound. Although the United States Army Reserve maintains a presence since 1974, the property is currently owned by the City of New York. Fort Totten Flag Bearers New York Public Library Construction began in 1862 after the United States government purchased the land from the Willet family.  The former federal military base was composed of 93 acres.  Plans for the Civil War-era project were initially prepared by Captain Robert E. Lee in 1857.  Construction was undertaken five years later to protect the eastern approach of New York Harbor from the Confederate States, along with Fort Schuyler across the East River in the Bronx. The fort was named for General Joseph Gilbert Totten (1788-1864), Chief Engin