Skip to main content

Kingsbridge Armory, The Bronx

Looking west at the Kingsbridge Armory on July 21, 1914.
Museum of the City of New York
Kingsbridge Armory

Also known as the Eighth Regiment Armory located on West Kingsbridge Road. It was built in the 1910s to house the National Guard's Eighth Coastal Artillery Regiment which relocated from Manhattan in 1917.  Possibly the largest armory in the World.  After World War II, the City offered it to the United Nations as a temporary meeting place.
 
Looking northeast at the Kingsbridge Armory on July 18, 1914
Museum of the City of New York

In 1911, the New York State Legislature authorized construction of the Armory using an excavated area that was planned to have been the eastern basin for Jerome Park Reservoir. Some military artifacts were unearther in the area, believed to have been from nearby Revolutionary War forts including Independence and Number Five. 


After the second world war, the City offered it's use to the United Nations General Assembly as a temporary meeting place until the main UN Building was finished.

In 1974, it was designated a New York City landmark. It's military use ended in 1996 and was turned over to the City to manage.  The State Division of Military and Naval Affairs transferred title of the Armory and it's property to the City.

In 2006, Warner Bros. rented the armory for six months to film the Will Smith movie I Am Legend.  Efforts continue to redevelop the armory.

The Armory occupies the enitre 5-acre block. It's boundaries are West Kingsbridge Road to the South, Jerome Avenue to the East, West 195th Street to the North and Reservoir Avenue to the West. Barnhill Square is the junction of West Kingsbridge Road and Reservoir Avenue.

An empty moat encircles the building.  The Building is nine stories of red brick with a metal roof.  The 8th Regiment dates back to 1786.



Looking west at the Kingsbridge Armory (1915)
Museum of the City of New York



Looking east at the Kingsbridge Armory (1915)
Museum of the City of New York


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuyvesant Square Park, Manhattan

Stuyvesant Square (1930) New York Public Library Stuyvesant Square Park is a park spanning from East 15th Street north to East 17th Street and from Rutherford Place east to Nathan D. Perlman Place. The square is commonly thought to be named for  Peter Stuyvesant, the last of the Dutch Director-General of the colony of New Netherlands until it was ceded to English  control in 1664. It is actually named for Peter Gerard Stuyvesant. Stuyvesant Square (1905) Museum of the City of New York The park lies within what was the Stuyvesant family farm. The farm once stretched from the Bowery to the East River and from 3rd Street to 14th Street. The park itself is in the approximate location of the original Stuyvesant family mansion. Randel Farm Map 1818-1820 In 1836, Peter Gerard Stuyvesant and his wife Hellen Rutherford reserved four acres of the family farm and sold it to the City of New York for $5 as a public park, with the proviso that the City of New York build a fen

Holland Tunnel, Manhattan

 South Tunnel of the Holland Tunnel December 6, 1923 New York Public Library  The first automobile tunnel built under the Hudson River was the Holland Tunnel, opened to vehicular traffic on November 13, 1927.  The Holland Tunnel was formerly named the Hudson River Vehicular Tunnel or the Canal Street Tunnel.  Today it is named for it's chief engineer Clifford Milburn Holland (1883-1924). Beginning in 1906, a joint commission of New York and New Jersey explored the possibility of construction of a roadway crossing to connect the states.  After design proposals from various engineers including George Goethals, and the firm of Jacobs and Davies, the design of two separate tubes by Clifford Holland was chosen.  In 1919, Holland was named Chief Engineer of the project. North Tunnel of the Holland Tunnel July 20, 1925 New York Public Library On February 1, 1920 funds were appropriated for construction by the New Jersey Interstate Bridge and Tunnel Commission a

Ferry Point Park, The Bronx

Ferry Point Park is a park located in the Throggs Neck section of the Bronx along the East River and Westchester Creek.  The park spans 413.8 acres. The neighborhood " Throggs Neck " takes its name from John Throgmorton who obtained a license on October 6, 1642 from Niew Amsterdam's Governor to settle in the area.  The area served primarily as farm land for families for the next two centuries. In 1850 the land that will become Ferry Point Park is purchased by Augustus diZerega and Jacob Lorillard, a shipping tycoon and a tobacco manufacturer, respectively. In 1916, the land is sold to the Catholic House of the Good Shepherd. The east side of Ferry Point Park prior to land-filling New York Public Library 1905 The original parcel of Ferry Point Park totaled 171 acres and came under the jurisdiction of the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation in 1937.  It was purchased by New York City from the Roman Catholic House of the Good Shepherd during the a