Skip to main content

University Heights, The Bronx

University Heights

University Avenue's former name was Aqueduct Avenue.  It was renamed for New York University in 1913 and renamed again in 1988 for Martin Luther King Jr.

The Old Croton Aqueduct has been preserved for a two mile stretch from Kingsbridge Road South to about Bainbridge Avenue, along Aqueduct Avenue West, Aqueduct Avenue East and University Avenue as raised a embankment and walkway.  Aqueduct Avenues East and West are named for their location in relation to the Croton Aqueduct's location.  An aqueduct gatehouse remains at Phelan Place (although from the New Croton Aqueduct 1885-1893).


The University Heights Campus of New York University (1920)
Museum of the City of New York


New York University developed a University Heights campus in 1894 to follow New York City's development as it moved uptown.  However years later, in 1973, fearing urban decay New York University sold the University Heights campus to the City University of New York.  With the engineering school residing at the University Heights campus, the school of engineering merged with Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn to form the Polytechnic Institute of New York.  The University Heights campus became the home of Bronx Community College.  The campus includes the Hall of Fame for Great Americans.


The Hall of Fame for Great Americans | Wallyg


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuyvesant Square Park, Manhattan

Stuyvesant Square (1930) New York Public Library Stuyvesant Square Park is a park spanning from East 15th Street north to East 17th Street and from Rutherford Place east to Nathan D. Perlman Place. The square is commonly thought to be named for  Peter Stuyvesant, the last of the Dutch Director-General of the colony of New Netherlands until it was ceded to English  control in 1664. It is actually named for Peter Gerard Stuyvesant. Stuyvesant Square (1905) Museum of the City of New York The park lies within what was the Stuyvesant family farm. The farm once stretched from the Bowery to the East River and from 3rd Street to 14th Street. The park itself is in the approximate location of the original Stuyvesant family mansion. Randel Farm Map 1818-1820 In 1836, Peter Gerard Stuyvesant and his wife Hellen Rutherford reserved four acres of the family farm and sold it to the City of New York for $5 as a public park, with the proviso that the City of New York build a fen

Holland Tunnel, Manhattan

 South Tunnel of the Holland Tunnel December 6, 1923 New York Public Library  The first automobile tunnel built under the Hudson River was the Holland Tunnel, opened to vehicular traffic on November 13, 1927.  The Holland Tunnel was formerly named the Hudson River Vehicular Tunnel or the Canal Street Tunnel.  Today it is named for it's chief engineer Clifford Milburn Holland (1883-1924). Beginning in 1906, a joint commission of New York and New Jersey explored the possibility of construction of a roadway crossing to connect the states.  After design proposals from various engineers including George Goethals, and the firm of Jacobs and Davies, the design of two separate tubes by Clifford Holland was chosen.  In 1919, Holland was named Chief Engineer of the project. North Tunnel of the Holland Tunnel July 20, 1925 New York Public Library On February 1, 1920 funds were appropriated for construction by the New Jersey Interstate Bridge and Tunnel Commission a

Ferry Point Park, The Bronx

Ferry Point Park is a park located in the Throggs Neck section of the Bronx along the East River and Westchester Creek.  The park spans 413.8 acres. The neighborhood " Throggs Neck " takes its name from John Throgmorton who obtained a license on October 6, 1642 from Niew Amsterdam's Governor to settle in the area.  The area served primarily as farm land for families for the next two centuries. In 1850 the land that will become Ferry Point Park is purchased by Augustus diZerega and Jacob Lorillard, a shipping tycoon and a tobacco manufacturer, respectively. In 1916, the land is sold to the Catholic House of the Good Shepherd. The east side of Ferry Point Park prior to land-filling New York Public Library 1905 The original parcel of Ferry Point Park totaled 171 acres and came under the jurisdiction of the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation in 1937.  It was purchased by New York City from the Roman Catholic House of the Good Shepherd during the a