Skip to main content

Shore Acres, Staten Island

Shore Acres  is a neighborhood in eastern Staten Island, between Rosebank and Fort Wadsworth.  The area remains today a secluded enclave of pricey, waterfront homes.  The neighborhood's generally agreed boundaries are Bay Street to the West, Nautilus Street to the North, New York Bay to the East and Arthur Von Briesen Park to the South.

Topographical Map of Shore Acres (1906-1913)
New York Public Library

Arthur Von Briesen
Library of Congress


The serene Von Briesen Park is 12.77 acres.  The site of Von Briesen Park was the former estate of Arthur Von Briesen (1843-1920).  Von Briesen was a native of Germany, a sergeant during the Civil War and New York lawyer.  In 1876, Von Briesen helped found the German Legal Aid Society which provided free legal services to poor German immigrants in New York.  After rising to the position of President of the society, Von Briesen argued for the broadening of benefits to all immigrants and in 1896 the society changed their name to the Legal Aid Society.  The Legal Aid Society in New York City is the nation's oldest and largest provider of legal services to the needy.  Von Briesen purchased the property that is today the park in 1901 and named the estate Gernda, a German term for "wishing to be there."  During the 19th Century, the area was owned by Henry Alexander and served as a farming estate.  After Von Briesen's death in 1920, the estate remained vacant until 1945 when his heirs donated the land to New York City Parks.  The extant structures onsite were demolished by Parks Commissioner Robert Moses to prevent vandalism.  The park opened to the public in 1949 and received a renovation in 2001.

Shore Acres Road gateposts
New York Public Library

The Shore Acres development was accessed at Shore Acres Road.  At the intersection of Bay Street and Shore Acres Road cobblestone gateposts remain, further indication it was once part of a private development.  Within Shore Acres is a lake known as Lake Alexandria and Lake Alexandre in the early 1900s for the early estate in the area.  The Lake remains today however it is privately owned and inaccessible to the public. 

The Lake at Shore Acres
New York Public Library


Cornelius Kolff at Staten Island
Chamber of Commerce dinner (1933)
Staten Island Historical Society
The area of Shore Acres began to see development in the 1930s.  Leading the development was former President of the Staten Island Chamber of Commerce and prominent real estate developer Cornelius Geertruyus Kolff (1860-1950).  Kolff was known as "Staten Island's most obedient servant."  Kolff began in the real estate business in 1893 with his partner Louis W. Kaufmann.  Kolff sold the former Meyer Estate in nearby Rosebank to Jesuits for the creation of Mount Manresa.  In addition to Shore Acres, Kolff was responsible for the developments of Woods of Arden, Bement Estates, Hillcrest Park in Great Kills, Longview in Grymes Hill, Harbor View, Elting Park and Emerson Hill.  Kolff claimed credit for the naming of Emerson hill for the family of Ralph Waldo Emerson.  The village at the foot of Emerson Hill, known as Dutch Farms, was renamed Concord for Emerson's hometown Concord, Massachusetts.  Kolff also served as an expert real estate appraiser for the City of New York, and served as President of the Staten Island Historical Society.  Lastly, Kolff was instrumental in the acquiring of waterfront in the St. George and Clifton neighborhoods in the 1920s to build municipal piers.  Kolff himself resided in Shore Acres, at 15 Harborview Place.

Staten Island Ferry Cornelius G. Kolff (1972)
New York Public Library

In 1951, a Staten Island steam ferry was named for Kolff and used by the Department of Transportation until 1987 when the Department of Corrections used it as overflow inmate housing and renamed the Walter B. Keane.

Staten Island Ferry Cornelius G. Kolff  (1982)
Theodore W. Scull


Popular posts from this blog

Holland Tunnel, Manhattan

 
The first automobile tunnel built under the Hudson River was the Holland Tunnel, opened to vehicular traffic on November 13, 1927.  The Holland Tunnel was formerly named the Hudson River Vehicular Tunnel or the Canal Street Tunnel.  Today it is named for it's chief engineer Clifford Milburn Holland (1883-1924).

Beginning in 1906, a joint commission of New York and New Jersey explored the possibility of construction of a roadway crossing to connect the states.  After design proposals from various engineers including George Goethals, and the firm of Jacobs and Davies, the design of two separate tubes by Clifford Holland was chosen.  In 1919, Holland was named Chief Engineer of the project.

On February 1, 1920 funds were appropriated for construction by the New Jersey Interstate Bridge and Tunnel Commission and the New York State Bridge and Tunnel Commission.  Construction of the Hudson River Vehicular Tunnel Project began on March 31, 1922 at the corner of Canal Street and West S…

Castle Clinton, Manhattan

Castle Clinton

Castle Clinton, today Castle Clinton National Monument, stands two blocks west of where Fort Amsterdam once stood. The sandstone fort was built in anticipation of the War of the 1812. It was built on a small artificial island off shore. Originally called West Battery or Southwest Battery, it was renamed Castle Clinton in 1817 for Dewitt Clinton - New York City's Mayor and later New York Governor.

In 1823, Castle Clinton was deeded to the City. It was used as a restaurant and entertainment center and renamed Castle Garden.

The roof was added in 1840 and Castle Garden served as an opera house and theater. Jenny Lind, often referred to as the "Swedish Nightingale", debuted her American tour at Castle Garden on September 11 and 13 in 1850. She returned again to bring her tour to a close in May of 1852. It served in this respect until 1854.



By 1855, landfills had enlarged the Park to encompass Castle Garden.


On August 3, 1855 the Castle became the Castle Garden Immi…

Stuyvesant Square Park, Manhattan

Stuyvesant Square Park is a park spanning from East 15th Street north to East 17th Street and from Rutherford Place east to Nathan D. Perlman Place. The square is commonly thought to be named for Peter Stuyvesant, the last of the Dutch Director-General of the colony of New Netherlands until it was ceded to English control in 1664. It is actually named for Peter Gerard Stuyvesant.



The park lies within what was the Stuyvesant family farm. The farm once stretched from the Bowery to the East River and from 3rd Street to 14th Street. The park itself is in the approximate location of the original Stuyvesant family mansion.

In 1836, Peter Gerard Stuyvesant and his wife Hellen Rutherford reserved four acres of the family farm and sold it to the City of New York for $5 as a public park, with the proviso that the City of New York build a fence around it. The park square, originally to be named Holland Square, ultimately was named for it's namesake benefactor. Peter Gerard Stuyvesant co-founde…